Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pictures around Tórshavn August 1, 2011

First, let me say that uploading pictures 4 or 5 at a time on blogger/blogspot is annoying. So, I'll be looking for a better way to upload a whole bunch of pictures at once and then I'll link them from this site. Keep checking back here, in other words, but I may point you to another link for pics in future posts : )


Just outside my hotel/hostel to the east there is a nice sheeptrail (actually a very nice walking trail - part of a huge network that snakes all over the mountains/hills. Amazing for walking. here's one of the island's innumerable waterfalls (most are just little streams and brooks, but very nice).


Fog blows around on Tórshavn looking west from sheeptrail.


The first of many cairns I saw walking around the hills around the top of Tórshavn on the islands of Streymoy. Cairns have been used in the Faroe Islands for hundreds of years to mark pathways in the foggy hills. From what it looks like, some are used just to say "yes, you're still on the path, keep walking", while other cairns have been built closer together in places where there is a steep drop off, a curve in the path, or where the path splits in two. Some of the stonepiles appear to be quite old while other, more elaborate pilings, appear to be more recently made : )Looking back east to the hotel from the westerly "sheeptrail" : )



Still walking east - I told you it was a sheep trail. BTW the sheep are everywhere - even high up on the mountains where there are no fences. I'm not sure if some sheep are actually "wild" (belonging to no one), but I don't know how people would ever gather them all up. Dogs I guess?


Not all sheep here are blurry - just this one.


Looking east over Tórshavn. It had been raining steadily 30 mins earlier.


Many of these nice walking trails periodically have old latched gates which you have to cross through (and close behind you).


The name of the hotel's restaurant. I posted this for Nick, mainly...


Sometimes these walking trails are indicated by these signs : )


Morning view out the window, some sheep terrorizing the parking lot.


Hotel driveway! Has stones and old (non-working) street lights.


Hotel driveway. I was loving this for some reason...



Looking around from a sheeppath.



Stay tuned for more and better pics, I swear I'll get this figured out.

3 comments:

  1. Looks so amazing and peaceful...love the comments too Josh....enjoy all the time you have there....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good job on the pic and the comentary Josh..

    ReplyDelete